CASA DOS VARAIS
Quinta dos Varais is situated in the left margin of Douro, in Cambres, in the city of Lamego. Until the year of 1773 Quinta dos Varais was depending on Convento de Salzedas, whitch was payed annually with wine of the region instead of normal taxes.
This fact proves the antiquiness of the vineyard's culture in this property, located in the heart of the ancient Zona dos Vinhos de Feitoria(Wine Trading Post Zone) - acording to the delimitation of 1761.
Since the eighties, Qunta dos Varais has been going through a variety of changes, such as in the area of viniculture(mechanization of vineyards and selection of varieties), winemaking(adaptation of the stone mills, more functionality, among others) and also in the area of guesthouse tourism. this activity became an adjunct to the agriculture activity and started in the eighteenth century sunny house, which later was adapted to a tipical house of the region, with shale and private pool.
The marketing of the table wine also started in the eighties, being the first to be lauched in the market the white wine, which came from the varieties Malvasias Fina, Viosinho and Códega, vinified by the process of 'bica-aberta' and control of the fermentation temperature.
Later, in the nineties, began the marketing of the red wine originally from the varieties Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz, vinified in stone mills by handmade tread. After the malolactic fermentation the red wine internships in oak barrels. Nowadays, Quinta de Varais's landlady is Mrs Lúcia de Castro Girão, descendant of a long generacion of several farm owner from the same region, Douro.
Since the plantation until the corking of the wine bottles, there's a long and passionate process made in Quinta dos Varais, under the supervise of the landlady's son, the vintner J. Girão de Azeredo.
Recently, in an investigation undertaken by Dr Altino Moreira Cardoso, it was discovered that Quinta dos Varais was the first property, in Douro, to be bought by the Monks of Cister. It was also discovered that, around the year of 1142 was made the first 'Vinho Cheirante de Lamego', in Douro, now known as Port Wine!